Scrappy Trip Progress Update
Since I have to get my scrappy trip-along quilt done in time for our trip to Iceland (yes, it's coming with us), I've been putting a little more elbow grease into it lately. I pieced the back a couple months ago out of Lagom Etern in black:
I'm pretty happy with how it came together. Normally I shy away from prints for backing because I get pretty Type-A about the prints not lining up, but here are my newly forged steps for matching prints:
- Iron a quarter-inch fold towards the wrong side on one of the backing edges
- Match up edges to "complete" the print, which lines things up correctly with consideration to seam allowances
- Put as many pins as you think are necessary to keep things in place
- Flip the folded edge over and stitch in the fold
This gave me a pretty near-perfect edge. The other thing I wanted to incorporate into this quilt was some hand-quilting. I knew I didn't want to hand-quilt the whole thing, so I used it to accentuate some of the diamond patchwork motifs.
I think it's a nice little touch. After the hand-quilting, I finished machine-quilting a simple crosshatch. I love it, but I do have an end to bury for any points where my machine-quilting started or ended in a hand-quilting line! I used paint to map things out again, which was helpful because it would have been super easy for my quilting lines to get off by a square.
Burying and binding are my jobs this weekend, but when it looks this good, you can't hardly complain.